Become a Councillor

Become a Councillor

How You Can Join Denmead Parish Council

As a parish councillor you would be representing the interests of the parishioners of Denmead. To become a parish councillor you have to be elected to one of the seats on the Parish Council.

The Parish Council retires and holds an election every four years.

You could be a parish councillor for Denmead if:

  • you are 18 years old or over; OR
  • you are a British, Commonwealth or Irish citizen or a citizen of another Member State of the European Union.

And either:

  • you are registered as a elector in Denmead; OR
  • you are the owner or tenant of any land or premises in Denmead; OR
  • your principle or only place of work for the past 12 months or more has been in Denmead; OR
  • you have lived in Denmead for the past 12 months or within 4.8km of it.

You cannot seek election if:

  • you work for the Local Authority which has the vacancy or hold a politically restricted post;
  • you are an undischarged bankrupt;
  • you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment in the past 5 years; OR
  • you have been disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal practices.